August 17, 2008---
It all started with a large nip of the Captain. That's what I needed to play shortstop against men anyway. This game was very unlike the others. It had been balls to the wall, nerve wracking competition (as much as rec ball can be) for the previous few weeks. It was do or die as each victory brought us closer to those elusive Champaign Park District jackets. Finally, we had clenched those jackets and we could now have some fun.
It was a lineup very unlike our previous ones. Our fearless leader Mike Cation just wanted to have some fun and didn't care if we won. Besides, we had little hope for victory as we were playing without Scot, Holly and Cherv. So, we mixed things up by putting people in random positons and thanks to Title IV, we played with more girls than guys. Here are the highlights:
- We had to quickly learn the "names" of our new teammates
- This was blown when Michelle Ryan introduced herself to "Taylor" while standing on first
- Alex made his second start without a single walk thanks to a new relaxation technique
- Mike managed to make an amazing out without really catching a ball
- I ran the wrong direction when attempting to field the first ball hit to me
- The other team cried foul when they thought we batted two men in a row, Micki quickly dispelled this myth by offerring to show them her new relaxation technique
- We celebrated at Rocks and showed our age by asking them to turn the music down
- We learned that their potato skins are made primarily of onions
Do to my extra snort of Captain, I'm having trouble coming up with more highlights. HELP!